Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Crinoline Flowers vs Jeu de Jambes

Crinoline Flowers is a stunning series created by wedding photographer Sophia Banks.

To Sophia Banks: What inspired you to do this series?

The Crinoline Flowers series was made several years ago and was inspired by a spring walk in the park, the cluttered vintage stores in Kensington market and my identity as a transgender woman.

The vision for the photos almost literally just appeared in my mind as you see them. I choose the bright colors to represent the flowers and also as a tribute to the LGBT rainbow.

When I made this series I was still young and sorting through my gender identity, trying to figure out who I was. The surreal over the top feel of the images came from a place where I felt repressed and expressed that with my photography in a way I could not find the courage to do in my life.
~~~ Sophia Banks

Sophia Banks lives and works in Toronto, Canada.


Crinoline Flowers
Copyright © Sophia Banks

© Sophia Banks

© Sophia Banks

© Sophia Banks

© Sophia Banks

© Sophia Banks

© Sophia Banks


Courtesy the artist.

Also featured on the HuffPost

1 comment:

  1. These are such whimsical and fun photos. I loved reading about the inspiration for their creation. I'm so glad she made them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks everyone for your nice comments! Keep checking this blog, cool posts everyday except on weekends..... Cheers!